Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Master's Hand

Yesterday I had the opportunity to visit the Carl Bloch exhibit in BYU-Provo. It was spectacular. Although I am familiar with many of his paintings, seeing the originals I gained a new appreciation of the magnificence of Carl Bloch's work. The copies (even the large scale ones at the new BYU-Idaho center) do not begin to compare to the grandeur of the originals. I am so grateful for the opportunity I had to visit this exhibit. This is the first time those paintings have left Denmark! And I got to witness this grand occasion. And what an experience, I get to start my adventure of European art by seeing Carl Bloch!
The New Favorite:


I am familiar with several Carl Bloch's and I thought my favorite was the Woman at the Well. I love the symbolism surrounding that painting.  It is amazing how Carl Bloch depicts biblical scenes differently than his contemporaries and even those before him. He was a revolutionary artist, and yet so spiritually sensitive.