Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Master's Hand

Yesterday I had the opportunity to visit the Carl Bloch exhibit in BYU-Provo. It was spectacular. Although I am familiar with many of his paintings, seeing the originals I gained a new appreciation of the magnificence of Carl Bloch's work. The copies (even the large scale ones at the new BYU-Idaho center) do not begin to compare to the grandeur of the originals. I am so grateful for the opportunity I had to visit this exhibit. This is the first time those paintings have left Denmark! And I got to witness this grand occasion. And what an experience, I get to start my adventure of European art by seeing Carl Bloch!
The New Favorite:


I am familiar with several Carl Bloch's and I thought my favorite was the Woman at the Well. I love the symbolism surrounding that painting.  It is amazing how Carl Bloch depicts biblical scenes differently than his contemporaries and even those before him. He was a revolutionary artist, and yet so spiritually sensitive.

But on Thursday I spent the several hours with an old religion professor, Brother Allison. He showed me where small churches with secret treasure, such as Caravaggio paintings, were located (so when I get to Rome I'll have amazing stories!). But then we also got on the topic of the Carl Bloch exhibit, which would be held in Provo, UT. He told me to look for the one of Christ in the garden. He said it is not used frequently by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints because the angel is depicted with wings. He mentioned that it is one of the tenderest depictions he's ever witnessed. And with that I completely agree.

As I sat in front of this magnificent piece I was taken back, reflected on my relationship with my savior. The longer you spent with the painting the more you learned. How I wish that night had never ended. The scale and tenderness in this painting reminded me of how much Christ suffered for me. He had everything, and yet was willing to submit and humble himself for me."We do not know, we cannot tell, no mortal mind can conceive the full import of what Christ did in Gethsemane." (Bruce R. McConkie). I absolutely love this painting! A picture is truly worth a thousand words. The longer you reflect, the more "words" and meaning you find. This will be something to remember as these adventures begin!


http://www.carlbloch.org/ (see Christ at Gethsemane I and II)
http://www.lds.org/general-conference/1985/04/the-purifying-power-of-gethsemane?lang=eng

No comments:

Post a Comment